Membership of the Union
Membership of the Union is open to all scholars within the African continent. Thus far, the Union has registered a total of two hundred and twenty four (224) members from forty two (42) African nations.
To become a member of the Union of African scholars, applicants must:
- Have adequate knowledge of the Shai’ah and his immediate surroundings
- Be influential in his community
- Be of sound moral character
Membership Criteria for non Founding Members
To become a non founding member of the Union of African Scholars, applicants must
- Apply for membership to the Secretary General of the Union
- Produce letters of recommendation from at least two founding members
- Get the approval of the Membership Committee
- Secure the consent of the General Secretariat
Membership by Nomination
- It is permissible for members of the Membership Committee to nominate aspirants for membership into the Union
Membership Criteria for Representatives of Charity Organizations
- It is permissible for Charity Organizations to apply for membership into the Union for any of their representatives that meets the afore mentioned membership criteria of the Union
Types of Membership
There are four types of membership into the Union of African Scholars as follows:
- Founding membership: This title is conferred on those who joined the Union before its inaugural congress
- Ordinary membership: This title is conferred on those who joined the Union after its inaugural congress
- Observer membership: This title is conferred on important personalities, leaders of educational institutions and Islamic organizations that have taken interest in developmental issues in Africa
- Honorary membership: This title is conferred on people who have distinguished themselves in the service of humanity in Africa.
Tenure of Membership
Membership of the Union is for life except in cases of resignation, death or explosion after a unanimous decision by the General Secretariat and the approval by the General Assembly.