Dated 29th Jumadaal Akhirah, 1444 AH Corresponding to 22nd January, 2023
Resolution N° 29
Declaration of the Union of African Muslim Scholars on the Criminal Act of Burning the Qur’an in Sweden
All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of the worlds. Blessing and mercy of Allaah be on the Prophet of guidance and blessing, Muhammad bin Abdullah, his household and the entire Companions.
The Far-Right Political Party supporters in Sweden, in a manner that embodies, hatred, rancour and provocation, took to the burning of the Glorious Qur’an in front of the Turkish Embassy in Stockholm, with the permission of the Swedish state authorities. Against the backdrop of this condemnable act, which is capable of inflaming hatred and violence, the Union of African Muslim Scholars, being the academic reference point for Muslims in the Sub-Saharan Africa, releases this statement as captured in the following points:
1. Condemnation of the act in the strongest possible terms because it injures the feelings of not only the Turks but the entire Muslims across the globe.
2. Calling on the Swedish authorities to tender an unreserved apology to the Muslims, and prevent the re-ocurrence of such provocative act in the guise of freedom of expression.
3. Directing Muslims to show their condemnation of the act at the various Swedish diplomatic missions across the Muslim nations, without jeopardizing the security measures of their respective countries.
4. Restressing the position of Muslims, which is non-tolerance of any vile attack on the symbols of Islam and its sanctities in any form, and holding the perpetrators liable for any possible violent reaction that follows their sacrilegious actions.
5. Advocating for the criminalization of sacrilege through local and international enactments, so as to save the world from further conflicts and wars.
6. Calling on Muslims to redouble efforts at spreading the Glorious Qur’an in different languages of the world, to showcase what it contains of guidance for humanity as a whole. Muslims are also encouraged to comply with the teachings of the Qur’an, so as to become models for others. Allah describes the Qur’an thus: ” This is a blessed scripture revealed by us; thus, you should follow it and be pious, so as to be blessed.” (Al-An’am: 155).
7. Finally, we call on Imams, preachers and writers to also address this matter, with the aim of enlightening the Muslims on correct approaches to the preservation of the Glorious Book through recitation, memorization, contemplation and application of its teachings.
May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon our Prophet, Muhammad, his household and the entire companions.
Secretary General President
Dr. Seydou Madibaba Sylla Dr. Said Burhani Abdoullah